Firstly let me bring into limelight the beverages which prevailed in India in the ancient and medieval period.
Tea was introduced and produced on commercial basis in India after the conquest of large areas by the British East India Company. In the similar way, Coffee again was introduced in India by the British.
Thus both these popular beverages are not of Indian origin. The most popular beverages in India during ancient and medieval times were ‘Madya ,Madira , Asava ,Madhu ,Surasava ,Gaudasava ,Madhasava ,Madhu ,Phaljam Madhu ,Madhumadhavi ,Madhavika ,Sauviraka ,Suviraka ,Sidhu ,Maireya ,Varuni ,Madhuparka and Kadambari.’ Although these beverages were intoxicants, there was a special significance of each depending upon time and amount of consumption that lead to a particular effect on the body which is well described in Ayurvedic texts.
From Buddhist texts Indians had very healthy eating and drinking habits – much more so than today.
-They drank many fruit juices,
-flower juices (kevara jal is nothing new),
-leaf juices (which is another kind of tea but from different plants)
-and juices from grains!
Since India was the first to invent sugar, we also had the first sugary fruit drinks, like “Aam Pana” or mango juice.
“Juice drinks include the freshly squeezed juice of sugar cane, lotus root, all fruits except grain, all leaves except cooked vegetables, and all flowers except the [bassia latifolia] (Mahaavagga.VI.35.6). According to the Commentary, the juice must be strained, and may be warmed by sunlight but not heated over a fire.”(BMC p.339)
So that’s how health oriented we were; a lot in harmony with the environment and nature. Tea and Coffee is used as a daily beverage.
Rather than used … I must say abused!
Excessive stimulants has sadly become a demand of the lifestyle that we all are living and we must get over it.
DRINKING BLACK COFFEE OR SUGARLESS TEA ON REGULAR BASIS BEFORE EXERCISE IS DETRIMENTAL FOR YOUR BODY AND MIND HEALTH.
These are some major effects :
1. IT’S A DIURETIC AND CAN CAUSE DEHYDRATION DURING THE WORKOUT.
2. CAFFEINE INCREASES THE PRODUCTION OF YOUR STRESS HORMONES – ADRENALINE AND CORTISOL WHICH ELEVATE YOUR STRESS LEVELS AND CAUSE ADRENAL FATIGUE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME.
3. CAFFEINE INCREASES YOUR HEART RATE AND BLOOD PRESSURE.
4. THE CALCIUM ABSORPTION FROM THE INTESTINAL VILLI REDUCES WHICH CAN CAUSE OSTEOPOROSIS IN THE LATER YEARS.
5. THE ABSORPTION OF IRON AND FOLIC ACID IS HINDERED. THUS ANAEMIA CAN ALSO BE AN OUTCOME OF INCREASED BEVERAGES.
6. CAFFEINE HAS AN ADVERSE EFFECT ON THE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM AND THE LIBIDO CAUSING HARMFUL EFFECT OVER THE FERTILITY.
Caffeine is a “pharmacologically active” substance but unfortunately it is consumed way casually today!
Don’t be a fitness freak. Don’t be misguided.
Be a Fitness Enthusiast!
KEEP FOLLOWING ME @ www.facebook.com/sharayu4health (y)